End: Friday, August 13, 2021 - 05:00 pm Categories:
L388 Advanced Public Information Officer class through the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) is scheduled for August 9-13, 2021 in Bismarck. Class will be held at the ND Department of Health Emergency Preparedness and Response offices at 1720 Burlington Dr. beginning at 8:00 a.m. and ending at 5:00 p.m. each day.
The Advanced Public Information Officer course provides participants with the knowledge and skills to establish, manage and work within a JIC through multimedia lectures and individual and group activities. The training allows participants the opportunity to apply advanced public information skills during a multi-day functional exercise (FE) designed to test the participants’ abilities to analyze, coordinate, process and create information in a fast-paced, realistic environment. Through a tabletop exercise (TTX), participants evaluate their processes to help them generate new ideas, products, or ways of viewing challenges or situations as well as improve their processes ensuring every action has a measurable relevance for each identified audience, including senior leadership.
Proof of completion of course pre-requisites must be submitted NDDES Training and Exercise program prior to class dates. More recent versions of classes listed are also acceptable.
- IS-29 Public Information Officer Awareness
- IS- 42 Social Media in Emergency Management
- IS-100.b Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS) (or ICS course for specific specialty: healthcare, public works, etc.)
- IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents (or discipline specific course)
- IS-201 Forms Used for the Development of the Incident Action Plan (Waived if ICS-300 completed)
- IS-247.a: Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) (or either IS-248 Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) for the American Public or IS-251 Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) for Alerting Authorities
- IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS), an Introduction
- IS-800.b National Response Framework, An Introduction
- E/L105 Public Information Basics (or G0290 Basic Public Information Officers Course and G0291 Joint Information System/Joint Information Center Planning for Tribal, State and Local PIOs)
The target audience for this course is public information personnel who have completed the prerequisites listed in the prerequisites section above, and/or pre-course knowledge check. The “G” course prerequisites may be waived for those individuals who have extensive experience in public information activities. Written requests for waivers must be submitted to the ND State Training Officer and/or National Emergency Training Center (NETC) Admissions Office.
A block of rooms has been reserved for class participants at the Expressway Suites, 180 East Bismarck Expressway. Call 222-1311 and ask for the "DES Advanced PIO" block. NDDES provides reimbursement for students that live or work in ND for hotel room at state rate and meal per diem according to state policy. We do not cover mileage.